Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Choma, Zambia

Well, it has been a while since I posted an African blog and that is partially because it has been crazy here! We have gotten to do and experience so much since we got to Choma. 

On our 6 hour drive from Lusaka to Choma we stopped at a market on the side of the road. As soon as our bus pulled in there were dozens, and I mean DOZENS, of people crowded around the bus holding up their items to sell. Talk about overwhelming.





A few days in to our time here in Choma our whole team had to travel to Macha (a town about an hour away) to get ourself indexed into the school of nursing’s records. This needed to be done in order to start our clinicals. While in Macha we were able to go to yet another market (If you haven't noticed, we like markets). This one was not touristy at all so when the locals saw a herd of white people marching into the market, you better believe they gawked. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I heard the word mizungu, the tonga word for white people. Somehow our shopping at the market turned a Zambian dance party! Don’t ask me how that happened! We laughed, sang songs and learned how to dance like a true Zambian!







Later we were able to visit the orphanage here in Choma. Again, the second our bus pulled in the kids started to run to the bus! We had a blast playing, talking and just loving on those sweet kids. 





Also, I took some photos of our Choma home for you all to see!


 







Here is a photo of me in one of my new chitenges. Ignore the ironic model-like wind blowing my chitenge…


The internet here is close to nonexistent so I will try my best to post often!

Oh! And for those wondering, my sister and baby Valor have both been discharged from the hospital and are doing well! Thanks for your prayers!



Here is another for good measure ;) He melts my heart.





No comments:

Post a Comment